Free teacher-led visits
A visit to RAMM is a truly exciting experience. The wonderful Victorian building is in the heart of Exeter, close to the city centre, the Roman wall and the Norman castle. Its displays take students on a voyage around the globe from prehistory to the present day. And with the busy programme of temporary exhibitions there is always something new to see. We have just introduced our new ‘gallery games’ for free teacher-led visits that introduce game-based learning in our galleries to make both look-around and subject-based visits even more memorable.
What we offer
Teacher-led visits are free.
Why not try out some ‘Think Links’ which you can download from the foot of this page. These provide clue-based learning for individuals or groups in the galleries for either look-around or subject-specific visits. Few or no resources are needed. It’s a good idea to download and read through for ideas a little while before visiting so you can see which games would best suit your children and aims for the day. If you try them out, please let us know how you get on.
Rooms for baggage and lunch can be hired.
Students are welcome to sketch and take notes but no wet or messy media such as watercolours or charcoals are allowed. Photographs can be taken, preferably without flash, in all but the temporary exhibition galleries.
No eating is allowed in the galleries, but you are welcome to take a snack break in our grassy area by the garden entrance.
RAMM is fully accessible to children with mobility disabilities, including toilets. Schools bringing disabled children can book a parking space at the museum’s garden entrance. The nearest drop-off point for coaches is in Queen Street outside Central station, 100 metres from the Queen Street entrance.
Free downloadable materials to support teaching and learning are available for workshops in schools.
What we require from you
- Book your visit using our online system.
- Familiarise yourself with RAMM and formulate your own risk assessment. We are open Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 5pm.
- Plan a suitable venue for your lunch break. Rooms can be hired for lunch but food and drink may not be consumed in the galleries.
- Upon arrival at the new garden reception next to the Phoenix Arts Centre please register with reception to confirm that adult:child ratios are correct and to complete a Health & Safety declaration.
- Keep access to galleries and exits clear.
Guidance for your risk assessment.
Maximum group size 120.
One teacher must be QTS accredited (Qualified Teacher Status) and there must also be an additional teacher to circulate between groups. We would recommend splitting up large groups during the visit.
- Children aged 0-4 1 adult: 3 children
- Children aged 5-7 (KS1) 1 adult: 6 children
- Children aged 8 -11 (KS2) 1 adult: 10 children
- Children aged 12 and over (KS3 +) 1 adult: 15 children
Accompanying adults should not have babies/toddlers/buggies with them.
First aid provision
RAMM can provide basic first aid in the event of a minor accident. If any pupil has specific illnesses, however, e.g. epilepsy, diabetes, allergies etc., the school must bring an adult who has specialist knowledge and ability to treat these pupils.
All pupils and adults should wear appropriate clothing and footwear and only walk in the museum to avoid slips and trips.
Allergic reaction to materials on open display
Teachers need to be aware of allergies amongst their children and if in any doubt about the possibility of allergic reaction to materials on open display then the risk to their children should be assessed in the familiarisation visit.
Room hire for bags and lunch
When available, meeting rooms can be booked for schools to leave their bags and have lunch with a minimum 3 hours hire and a maximum group size of 65 children. All prices are for 3 hours.
Bag deposit only £124.84 (including VAT)
Bag deposit & lunch:
- < 25 children £124.84 (including VAT)
- 26 to 40 children £218.48 (including VAT)
- 41 to 65 children £343.33 (including VAT)
To hire a room for bags and lunch, please email email@example.com
Free activity sheets
Free activity sheets to help guide a visit around RAMM
Use this floorplan to plan your visit.