RAMM is offering Exeter artists the opportunity to create new art in response to the Coronavirus.
6 May 2020
RAMM has announced that it is inviting professional visual artists and craftspeople living or working in Exeter to create a new artwork in response to the pandemic during this period of ‘lockdown’. This new artwork will be specific to Exeter and its residents.
The artwork can respond to the virus’s effects on the city’s communities and their experiences during this time in any way that the artist feels is valuable. The hope is that the new artwork will be displayed in the museum next year.
The £4,000 commission will be available to artists who live or work in Exeter and who have a track record of exhibiting and sharing their artwork in Exeter and the South West. The museum welcomes applications by artists and makers who self-define as disabled.
Artists are asked to send as their expression of interest, a current CV, statement and idea in 20 words, to Lara Goodband ([email protected]) by Monday 25 May at 12 noon.
For more information about the contemporary art programme see:
Further information: Covid-19 Contemporary Art Commission at RAMM
Deadline for expressions of interest: Mon 25 May
This opportunity is funded and supported by Arts Council England through its National Portfolio Funding for RAMM
- You will have a track record of exhibiting and sharing your artwork in Exeter and the South West
- You will be a regular visitor to RAMM and support its ethos and vision
- Your postal address will be in Exeter for either work or home
- The resulting new artwork will be in a physical media rather than a digital or photographic format
- We will be offering £4,000 (including expenses) for the commission fee, and up to £1,000 for production and display, as well as £250 for each of the three shortlisted artists to present their proposal.
- The selection panel will be made up of Julien Parsons, Head of Collections & Exhibitions at RAMM, Lara Goodband, Contemporary Art Curator at RAMM, and artist Peter Randall Page.
- You respect current government advice on non-essential travel and social distancing when creating the new artwork
Please send as your expression of interest, a CV, statement and idea, to Lara Goodband ([email protected]) by Monday 25 May at 12 noon.
The process of commissioning will be:
- May: Artists living or working (before lockdown) in Exeter are invited to express interest in the commission to send in their CV, an artist’s statement demonstrating a commitment to working with RAMM and an idea in no more than 20 words. We do not expect a detailed proposal at this point.
- Early June: Shortlist of 3 artists are invited to submit a detailed proposal for the commission by email
- Late June: Selection panel select artist’s proposal and contact artist with questions
- July: Artist begins work