Fun things to do in the museum
There are lots of fun things to do in the museum, whatever your age.
RAMM’s galleries hold over 8,000 fascinating objects. Come and be delighted by stunning displays of exotic animals, birds and insects, hear stories of Devon Exeter’s rich history and immerse yourself in its important world cultures collections.
- Pick up one of our printed trails or visit the Exeter Time Trail site to follow a trail on your phone. Why not try our Treasures of the Museum trail, and pick your own favourite object?
- Play RAMMbingo – ask at Reception for a card. How many things can you tick off?
- Touch specimens from our geology collection and watch a film about how Devon has been shaped over millions of years.
- Take a few moments to read a book together in our family area or play the xylophone – both in the World Cultures gallery.
- Design a bird that can survive in different conditions, or listen to the sound of a harpsichord.
- Visit the Out and About: Queering the Museum butterfly interactive and listen to stories and voices from Exeter’s LGBTQ+ community.
Fun things to do at home
We hope you’ve enjoyed your visit to RAMM. Why not try one of these activities inspired by the objects in the collections?
Discover what life was like in Roman, Tudor and 18th century Exeter in Minecraft. Go inside a museum object, discover archaeological objects where they were used and explore historic buildings! Bedrock and Education editions of the maps are available. The RAMM maps are free to download, but you need to make a one-off payment to play Minecraft.
Draw a giraffe
Gerald the giraffe is RAMM’s iconic mascot and best-loved object. Follow the steps in the video below to learn how to draw your own Gerald!